Not A Big Fan Of Sports

Not A Big Fan Of Sports

I'm not a big fan of sports

I barely glance at the sports section of the newspaper, and that brief look is only to see if the comics are hidden inside that section.

However, I'm not sure that I should publicly reveal this critical moral failure of mine. I have (had, up until this moment?) many friends who are huge fans of sports, all kinds, any weather, any time.

I honestly try not to allow my disinterest to appear as dislike of those who enjoy sports. I DON'T dislike you! I just find it extremely hard to share in your joy. But that doesn't mean that I'm not glad that you joy in it.

I've heard that there's a big game scheduled this Sunday. I actually attended a Super Bowl party one time. The food was great! By taking a moment here and there to stop crunching on chips and dip I was able to listen intently to the running commentary of the true fans in the room, and I could sort of keep up with who was playing, and whether "our team" was ahead.

I'm sorry. This is getting hard. I can feel the aura of disapproval and pity from all my sports-loving friends. I'll stop soon, I promise.

Anyway, here's a great post by Barnabas Piper regarding the moral conflict that may be gripping many of you even now:

Is it wrong to skip church in favor of a Super Bowl party?

Barnabas offers a very reasonable answer that is encouraging, even for me!

Keep in mind, as you consider whether to check out his article: Barnabas is a huge fan of sports.

Enjoy!

http://www.worldmag.com/2013/02/separation_of_church_and_super_bowl

super bowl 034 by djnaquin67, Creative Commons License, horribly mangled and misused by the author!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Seeds and Cyanide

How to Connect Trailer Wiring: 2003 Chevy S-10 Pickup

Google Chrome Browser: Remember Window Size & Position