Pages

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Unshopping

Unshopping

Have you ever heard of "unshopping"?

Neither had I!

But the notion is intriguing. "Unshopping" can be seen as a way of counteracting the pervasive, persuasive, almost hypnotic effect of aggressive, biased commercials aimed at influencing us toward impulsive, emotional shopping.

Here's one list of questions that can help a person "unshop":

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Before buying anything, ask yourself …

· Do I really need and want this? Can I get by without it?

· Is it made from renewable or nonrenewable resources?

· Is it made of recycled materials and is it recyclable?

· How long will it last and how will I dispose of it?

· Can it be maintained and repaired?

· Could I borrow it, rent it, or buy it secondhand?

· Is it overpackaged?

· Is it worth the time I worked to pay for it and its cost to the environment?

Source: envirochangemakers.wordpress.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What questions seem to be not applicable to you? What questions would you like to see also considered?

Black Friday by Beth Rankin, Creative Commons License