Apple Seeds and Cyanide

Apple Seeds and Cyanide

I offhandedly posted a comment that I eat apples...cores, seeds, and all. I chew on the stem until it tastes and feels like a used toothpick, and then I spit it out.

Several responses to my post have given me cause to examine closely my preferred method of eating apples. I'd heard that apple seeds contain a small amount of cyanide, but I'd also heard that it's harmless unless one were to eat an immoderate amount of apples, much more than a person could stomach in one sitting.

But I didn't really have any research to support either position: Are apple seeds poisonous or healthy?.

So I went searching.

One hour's worth of time spent searching the internet has given some interesting, semi-scientific, good-enough-for-me evidence that eating an apple's worth of seeds a day, or even three or four apple's worth, is not harmful. At worst, it may introduce a tiny amount of cyanide into my body, at a level which my body can easily detoxify. At best, it provides a tiny amount of cyanide into my body which may help guard against cancer.

Cyanide occurs naturally in many plants as a part of sugars. (www.atsdr.cdc.gov)

Wikikpedia explains that natural cyanides appear to defend plants against herbivores. (wikipedia.org, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)

According to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the lethal dose for hydrocyanic acid (HCN) is 50 milligrams.

I couldn't find a reputable source for how much cyanide is in an apple seed. That highly classified information is contained in several scientific documents which would cost me upwards of $30 or more to download, and the question just isn't that important to me. (www.sciencedirect.com, www.informaworld.com)

However, I did find an interesting, but not scientifically supported, article entitled: How To Kill Yourself With Apple Seeds. jarvissa.blogspot.com

According to Jarvissa, one gram of dry apple seed contains 0.6 milligrams of HCN. This calculates to around 85 grams of dry apple seeds...around half a cup.

That's a lot of apples.

Cyanide is only a very small portion of a natural substance found in plants from the Prunis family, which includes apples, cherries, apricots, peaches, almonds, millet, lima beans, soy, spinach, bamboo, and cassava root (used in tapioca). This natural substance is called amygdalin. Enzymes in our body breaks amygdalin into glucose, benzaldehyde, and hydrogen cyanide. (chemistry.about.com)

Raw amygdalin and a modified version, called Laetrile, are widely promoted as alternative cancer treatments. (www.cancer.org)

The U.S. National Library of Medicine posted several instances of toxic effects suffered by people ingesting Laetrile in massive quantities as treatment for cancer. One woman experienced fever, headache, cramps, eye irritation, and big words for "sick" following a regimen of 1500 milligrams of Laetrile daily. A man experienced muscle and nervous system weakness after a daily dose of 500 milligrams of amygdalin. In both cases, symptoms disappeared when the drugs were discontinued. (toxnet.nlm.nih.gov)

I have no intention of eating more than two or three apples a day. In actual use and practice, I eat one apple, seeds and all, only about three times a week. One apple has about five seeds. Even if I eat three apples for every meal, every day, that's only 15 seeds per day...maybe a spoonful?

Everytime I eat an apple core and chomp the seeds and swallow them down, I envision an ugly, voracious herbivore being scared to death of taking a bite out of me.

And that's a good thing!

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.

Comments

  1. you are so funny, dear friend.. or shall I call you Johnny Appleseed, instead of Milton, now?
    Enjoy your new crew at work.. Wished you and your wife could have seen our 5 point buck chompin down our rose bushes yesterday afternoon. I would have gladly given him all the apples in the world to save my rose hips, lol..
    karen H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't mind being called Johnny Appleseed, or maybe Wally Watermelon? A five-point buck? Wow! That would have been an awesome sight! I'll bet he mowed down your roses. Thanks for the comment, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you a plant? Because you may have bigger problems than hungry herbivores.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good point! No, I'm not a plant, and I do indeed have challenges and problems much different than those faced by plants. I may have to re-think my apple-eating-cyanide-is-good-for-me idea...

    ...okay, I thought about it. I still like to eat apple seeds.

    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Milt. I eat the whole apple too, except the stem. I have always done it, but not too many people seem to do it. I assume it comes from a childhood where not eating the core seemed like wasting food. Why do you chew on the stem?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Birgitta,

    I think it's due to laziness! Rather than get up out of my easy chair and toss the core and stem into the garbage, I simply eat it all. The potential health benefits are all just an elaborate rationalization of a deep-seated attitude of self-gratifying laziness! I chew on the stem for the same reason, reducing it to a ragged, frayed toothpick which I can leave inconspicuously on the bookshelf next to my chair. Terrible, I know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Informative article, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How did I end up here? I got way off track I was searching something about elephants and peanuts now I end up on an apple seed blog post, Though this is quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous, I'm glad you found it, and I'm so glad you left a comment about finding it! Now you've got me thinking about elephants and peanuts...I wonder where I'LL end up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cyanide, believe it or not, is a dietary expectation within biologically rational quantities. Cyanide within the body is transformed into another substance called, 'thiocyanate'. Sickle cell anemia is a thiocyanate deficiency disease. Do you see what I'm getting at? Hundreds of foods we consume daily contain dietary cyanide. Provided that we don't overwhelm our natural capacities to process it safely, there is no danger. Cyanide is not an accumulative toxin.

    If willing, have a read of my own blog at http://apricot-kernels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alex, great comment! That's is incredibly intriguing...naturally-occuring cyanide is part of our essential dietary needs, which apple seeds can help provide!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Indeed! Thanks for the feedback, Milt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You won't be able to digest the seed, remember that half a cup of chewed apple seeds is very different from half a cup of them un-chewed.

    Seeds are very good at passing through digestive tracts undigested from natural selection. They won't harm you unless you chew them and let the chemicals out. But who knows, maybe a bit of cyanide is good for your immune system! :)

    Just saw a friend eat an entire apple, never seen it before. So I decided to eat mine whole and read up on it ! DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,

      Good points. It's been a while since I've read back over this article, and I am still of the same mind. I think a little natural cyanide is a good thing! I don't eat many apples, one a day, maybe three times a week. I eat them entire, seeds and all, and I feel fine!

      I agree...delicious!

      Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  14. Hi, I´m looking for some info about apple seeds and found a lot of people ho says they eat them, but i have a doubt on this that still remains: do you chew or just swallow the seeds?? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous, I chew them finely and swallow them. Good flavor, and good for you (maybe). Thanks for the question!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to Connect Trailer Wiring: 2003 Chevy S-10 Pickup

Google Chrome Browser: Remember Window Size & Position